Saturday 26 February 2011

Have you ever wondered why golf balls have dimples?

If yes, I must ask what is wrong with you. (YOU VERY SAD PERSON)

Anyhow, now I've asked the question, I feel obliged to give an answer.

What it boils down to is the two different types of airflow; laminar and turbulent. Laminar flow is characterised  by a system of orderly layers, with no eddies or irregular fluctuations. In simpler terms, the flow lines do not cross.
Turbulent flow then is where there is not a system of orderly layers; that the flow lines cross.



Laminar flow past a ball is bad; it forces a larger separation in the air flows, causing greater drag, so that the ball will not travel very well. However, the balls dimples cause the flow lines to cross, and creates a turbulent stream behind the ball, lessening drag.

Really, all I needed to say was that golf balls with dimples travel further... But that would have been no fun.

5 comments:

  1. Oh goodness, I'm studying for the MCAT, and the Physics portion is daunting. But this did make sense, surprisingly. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I do like making sense!

    ReplyDelete
  3. saw the explanation on tv lately

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a golfer, so this is relevant to me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That really makes me thinking
    http://baxxmans.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete